If you dream to live in sunny Spain as a resident or start any kind of social/legal/tax activities here, you will need be identified by local authorities as a foreigner. This requires obtaining of personal NIE number in Spain and this article will make you understand better what the NIE in Spain is, how you can get the NIE number in Spain and explains in details all application options in the Spanish Kingdom and from other countries.
- What is the NIE number in Spain?
- What do you need NIE for?
- What does types of NIE in Spain exist?
- Which is the documentation you need to get NIE in Spain?
- What is the application procedure?
- How long does it take to obtain NIE in Spain?
- When should you change your NIE number?
- NIE in Torrevieja: useful contacts.
What is the NIE number in Spain?
NIE in Spain (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is descripted as «the Foreigner’s Identification Number». This is a distinctive identification number assigned to foreign citizens in the Spanish Kingdom.
Usually EU-citizens need get a NIE number after 3 months of their staying in Spain. Non-EU citizens need to apply for NIE in order to obtain the Spanish residency. The NIE number must provide you whenever and wherever, if you are engaged in financial, tax, legal or social affairs and processes in the Spanish Kingdom.
Note: The presence of NIE does not entitle to reside in the Spanish Kingdom legally
The actual NIE certificate is a standard A4 white sheet with your personal data: name and surname, date and place of birth and the number code. The foreigner’s identification number begins and ends with a capital letter and seven digits between them (like this: A-754321-B). It is important to know that NIE is purely personal number, which is once assigned and not transferable.
What do you need NIE for?
If you want to live more than 3 months in the Spanish Kingdom, you must then ask for a residence in order to your work, study or family relations. Unless you are going to be less than 90 days in the Spanish Kingdom, the NIE certificate is amply sufficient.
Which are the most common procedures for getting the foreigners identification number?
You will required NIE in Spain to:
- opening bank accounts;
- buying, selling or insuring your housing;
- buying or selling a transport vehicle;obtaining Spanish driving license;
- paying taxes in this country;setting up a company;
- becoming self-employed;
- studying in Spanish educational institutions;
- entering into the Spanish social security etc.
Note: NIE in Spain is not obligatory for children, but it will be needed for health insurance, School Certificate of Education, sport and some social clubs.
What does types of NIE exist?
Distinction is made between the following types of NIE numbers in Spain, depending on the person who is applying for it and its citizenship:
- Resident NIE is an ID type for EU citizens living in Spain more than 3 months for all of the above cases;
- Non-resident NIE is intended for non-EU citizens who are arriving at Spain and going to live here for less than 3 months per annum.
Note: Please don’t mix up NIE with TIE (Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero or foreigner’s ID card): there are two distinct concepts. The TIE card already have the NIE number, a personal photo and indicates the type of residence.
Which is the documentation you need to get NIE?
The required documents you will need for obtaining the NIE in Spain are the following:
- NIE application form model EX-15 (general info).
- NIE application form model 790 (for tax purposes).
- Your valid passport and one photocopy.
- For non-EU citizen: confirmation of your entry in Spain with a stamp in the passport. In some provinces/towns is a plane round-trip ticket necessary too.
- Supporting documents (purchase and mortgage contracts etc.) and your basis for obtaining of the NIE number in Spain.
- Two standard 3*4 photos.
- Paid fee (9,64 € in 2019).
Note: All foreign documents need be duly translated by accredited in Spain translator.
What is the application procedure?
When documentation is completed, you have three ways to apply for the Spanish NIE number:
- personal in Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación in Spain.
- personal in the Spanish Consulate abroad.
- via your legal representative in Spain.
After submission of the documents you will get a special receipt (resguardo) and will be appointed for obtaining of your NIE (you will receive a notification by e-mail).
How long does it take to obtain NIE in Spain?
If everything goes well you could receive the NIE number personal/via your representative/by e-mail in PDF-format in 2-4 weeks.
When should you change your NIE number?
This is a wrong question, because of your NIE number is never be changed and will provide you throughout life or until you get the Spanish citizenship.
NIE in Torrevieja: useful contacts
If you would like to get an appointment for your NIE in Torrevieja as comfortable as possible, you may turn to our experts.
If you want to get your NIE in Torrevieja personal, you should contact Oficinas de Extranjeros, which usually work at local police stations (la Comisaria de Policia Nacional — Oficina de Extranjeria).
Telefon: +34 96 692 86 36
Operation houers: 9.30 — 14.30 Monday-Friday.
Adress: Torrevieja, Calle Larramendi, 3
If you are not a client of Alegria, but want to get NIE as soon as possible and without any troubles, please contact the company for legal, tax and accounting issues in Torrevieja Easy Tax and Legal:
Telefon: +34 966 700 432
Adress: Torrevieja, avda Habaneras, 81