Estepona – is a sunny resort located on the Costa del Sol in the south of Spain and until today perfectly preserved its ancient Andalusian colour. A word on Estepona:
- Area: 137 km2
- Population: 70.228 habitants (2020)
- Province: Malaga
- Airports: Aeropuerto Internacional de Gibraltar (45 km), Aeropuerto de Málaga-Costa del Sol (80 km)
The friendly appearance of the town fascinates at first sight. One can start exploring it from the palm-lined promenade El Paseo Maritimo, which runs next to the town’s most popular beach – la Playa de la Rada. The nearby marina offers excellent service: restaurants serving Mediterranean cuisine, and rental of water sports equipment. Next to it there are also the fishing port littered with snow-white boots, and the second most popular beach of Estepona – la Playa del Cristo. The Old Town attracts with its small natty houses, lavishly decorated with bright flowers and its heart is la Plaza de las Flores – one of the favorite tourist attractions, where there are works of art from the Garó collection.
The climate in Estepona is Mediterranean, due to the proximity of the Strait of Gibraltar, similar to the climatic conditions of the rest of the Costa del Sol shore. The summer is hot with the average temperature of 28.0°C (June), 31.7°C (July) 32.3°C (August).
Local winters are pretty mild, the average daily temperature in January-February lies within 10-13°C.
The average annual temperature is 17-18°C. The number of sunny days in Estepona is above 320 a year, rainy days – about 35 days a year.
The best water temperature on the coast of Estepona is in August and early September – about 22-23°C.
Estepona: Beach rest
Estepona owns about 20 km of coastline, and many various beaches. Some of them are close to the luxurious residential complexes and gorgeous hotels and others lie in the outskirts of the town. The beaches with the best location for tourists are the Playa del Cristo, and the Playa de la Rada. The first one is a five-minute walk west from Estepona Marina. It is a beautiful, cozy cove with a rescue team in season, and also two beach bars with cool drinks, snacks and ice-cream, a convenient parking, and kids’ playground.
The second beach – Playa de la Rada is much longer and more lively; it is about 2.5 km in length, and stretches from the Marina to the Estepona Old Town. It is the town’s most popular beach, is surrounded by a magnificent Paseo Maritimo – the seafront promenade, and has all necessary services: chiringuitos, restaurants, child’s and sporting grounds, WC, showers, a handicap ramp, and a lifeguard stand. There is also underground parking along the seafront. Not too far from here, to the west of Estepona, there is a fancy nudist beach – la Costa Natura playa, which became the first official naturist site throughout Spain.
All Estepona Beaches are listed below (West to East):
- Playa La Galera: 960 m, coordinates: Latitude: 36.39104 Longitude: -5.20245
- Playa de Bahía Dorada: 1.120 m, coordinates: Latitude: 36.39794 Longitude: -5.19495
- Playa de Arroyo Vaquero: 585 m, coordinates: Latitude: 36.41273 Longitude: -5.17975
- Costa Natura: 400 m.
- Playa del Guadalobón: 1.860 m, Latitude: 36.41273 Longitude: -5.17975
- Playa del Cristo: 680 m, Latitude: 36.41768 Longitude: -5.16484
- Playa de La Rada: 2.630 m, Latitude: 36.42399 Longitude: -5.14494
- Playa Punta de la Plata: 2.220 m, Latitude: 36.43124 Longitude: -5.11781
- Playa del Padron: 910 m, Latitude: 36.43936 Longitude: -5.10186
- Playa de la Punta Pinillo: 1.290m
- Playa de Velerin: 750 m, Latitude: 36.44882 Longitude: -5.08649
- Playa Del Castor: 2.040 m, Latitude: 36.44356 Longitude: -5.09360
- Playa Bella: 1.220 m
- Playa del Guadalmansa: 1.370 m, Latitude: 36.45138 Longitude: -5.05867
- Playa Del Saladillo: 2.630 m, Latitude: 36.45842 Longitude: -5.04212
- Playa de La Atalaya: 1.070 m.
Estepona: Benefits of living in
First, this authentic Andalusian town has perfectly preserved its historical appearance and therefore has a lot of ancient attractions, which means that the tourist property purchased here will always be valued.
Tourist attractions of Estepona
Centro Historico de Estepona
Cozy houses, bright narrow streets, fine balconies with flower pots – one couldn’t ask for a more romantic place for a walk!
How to find: Calle Aurora, 3, 29680 Estepona, Málaga
Paseo Maritimo de Estepona
This is a real «place of power» for both tourists and locals. In the evenings, everyone gathers together on the embankment – from young to old: they are communicating with friends, walking dogs, rollerblading, sitting at cafes, playing with kids or just admire the surrounding scenery.
How to find: Paseo Marítimo Pedro Manrique, 29680 Estepona, Málaga
Orquidario de Estepona
It is a tropical garden filled with fragrance of delightful flowers. Just imagine: there are about 5.000 different plants, 1.300 species of orchids, more than 15.000 cubic meters of building volume and more than 1,000 square meters of the interior space!
How to find: Calle Terraza, 86, 29680 Estepona, Málaga
Puerto Deportivo de Estepona
Life on this sea pier is in full swing from morning until late at night. For those who want to see a lot of exclusive and expensive sea vessels in one place, to enjoy lunch or dinner in a cafe with amazing views, to show children frolicking sea fish, or maybe to rent a yacht with a fun group to meet the sunset in the middle of the ocean – you’re in the right place!
How to find: Puerto Deportivo de Estepona, Torre de Control, 29680 Estepona, Málaga
Ruta de Murales Artisticos
It may be surprising but the old Estepona is able to harmonize its ancient appearance and urban walls creatively painted with modern graffiti! Many tourists are in a hurry to enjoy the skill of young artists: bright colors and unexpected story line cheer up great.
How to find: Av. Juan Carlos I, 30, 29680 Estepona, Málaga
Plaza de las Flores de Estepona
The name of the place speaks for itself: this is a square of beautiful flowers, cozy cafes with delicious ice cream and aromatic coffee. In one of the many shops, one can buy a cute trinket to remember holidays or even a little dance with other cafe visitors to a cheerful tune.
Other historical sites of Estepona include the dolmens of Corominas, the Roman villa in Las Torres, the ruins of the castle of Nicio (Castillo del Nicio), the beautiful church – Iglesia de Santa María de los Remedios, and 7 watchtowers of the XV-XVI centuries, built all along the 21-kilometer coast.
Secondly, Estepona continues to develop and expand urban boundaries, which means that one can make profitable investments in buildings under construction, or buy housing that meets all modern standards of comfort (heating in homes, using of eco-friendly materials, solar panels, etc.)
Third, Estepona has excellent transport links: international, intercity and urban. The major Gibraltar International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional de Gibraltar) is located just 45 km from Estepona and it offers direct flights to Manchester Airport, Gatwick Airport (Crawley), London Luton Airport and Bristol Airport.
Malaga Airport (Aeropuerto de Málaga – Costa del Sol) is 80 km away, and comfortable buses run twice a day, the travel time is 1 hour and 15 minutes. To get Estepona from this airport, one can also take the Renfe train with a transfer to the bus in Fuengirola, the total travel time will be approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. The taxi ride will take less than an hour, but will cost 60-80 euros, while the option by bus (direct) or by train (with a transfer) will cost less than 15 euros.
The A-7 Autovía highway runs along the Costa del Sol and connects it with other resort cities – Marbella, Malaga, Granada, Cadiz and many others, also there is a high-speed toll highway AP-7 in this direction.
Estepona’s urban transport runs on two lines: Circular L1 (around the town and Circular L2 (connects the Old Town with the urbanizations).
Fourth, Estepona perfectly combines a healthy and sporty lifestyle with luxury and comfort. For these purposes, the town has:
- splendid golf courses – El Paraiso Golf Club, Valle Romano Golf Resort, Atalaya Golf & Country Club, Estepona Golf, Cypress Real Estate S. L.;
- a prestigious yacht club – Estepona Marina (Puerto Deportivo de Estepona);
- riding schools – Escuela de Arte Ecuestre Costa del Sol, Ranch Siesta Los Rubios, Happy Horse Riding Academy Stables, Finca Caballos Al Cadar.
Fifth, Estepona’s guest service is at the highest level: there are many five-star hotels that offer not only fantastic mountain and sea views from the rooms, but also such exclusive services as a private beach, an outdoor bar by the sea, beauty and spa treatments, a golf course and much more.
According to the travel portal Tripadvisor, the following are among the best hotels in Estepona:
Elba Estepona Gran Hotel & Thalasso Spa
- Address: Urbanizacion Arena Beach Carretera Estepona – Cadiz, Km 151, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: hoteleselba.com
- Room price: from 141 €
Kempinski Hotel Bahia
Address: Carretera de Cadiz, Km 159 Playa El Padron, 29680, Estepona Spain
Room price: from 353 €
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
- Address: Carretera Nacional 340 KM 168, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: senatorbanusspahotel.com
- Room price: from 95 €
Healthouse Las Dunas Beach Hotel and Spa
- Address: Urb. La Boladilla Baja Ctra Estepona-Marbella, Km 163, 500, 29689, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: lasdunascostadelsol.com
- Room price: from 282 €
Estepona Hotel & Spa Resort
- Address: Arroyo Vaquero Playa Crta. A-7 km 150, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: esteponaresort.com
- Room price: from 145 €
Marriott’s Playa Andaluza
- Address: Carretera de Cadiz, Km 168, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: marriottvacationclub.com
- Room price: from 231 €
Sol Marbella Estepona Atalaya Park by Melia
- Address: Avenida Golondrinas 2, 29688, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: melia.com
- Room price: from 118 €
Iberostar Costa Del Sol
- Address: Urbanización Costalita s/n, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: iberostar.com
- Room price: from 180 €
H10 Estepona Palace
- Address: Avda del Carmen 99 Playa del Guadalobon, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: h10hotels.com
- Room price: from 128 €
Exe Estepona Thalasso & Spa – Adults only
- Address: Autovia del Mediterráneo, KM 165, 29680, Estepona Spain
- Web-site: exehotels.co.uk
- Room price: from 99 €
The number of refined cuisine restaurants in Estepona is also pleasantly surprising with its variety. It is worth trying here the famous local delicacies: trout Padron (La trucha del Padrón), cream soup Campera, Gazpacho soup, Malaga salad made from potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, eggs, oranges and herring, flavored with olive oil, and chicken braised in Malaga wine.
According to the same portal, tourists especially prefer the following:
Restaurante Bar El Galeón (European and Mediterranean cuisine)
- Address: Plaza Almengual 20, 29680, Estepona Spain
Amura Bar Restaurante (Seafood, Mediterranean cuisine)
- Address: Puerto Deportivo Local 5, 29680, Estepona Spain
Chanchalay Bar Restaurante (International cuisine, tapas bar)
- Address: Plaza Ortiz 4, 29680, Estepona Spain
India House (Indian, Asian cuisine)
- Address: Ctr. N340, KM 167 Calle Benavista local 12, 29688, Estepona Spain
La Carbonara (Italian, Mediterranean cuisine)
- Address: Calle de Ceuta 18 Angolo Con Camino Padre Cura, 29680, Estepona Spain
Plan B Restaurant (Indian cuisine, cafe)
- Address: Avenida Luis Braille 14 Edificio Paraiso, 29680, Estepona Spain
Restaurant Chilli (Mexican cuisine)
- Address: Calle Isla Verde 12 Urb. Hermanas, 29688, Estepona Spain
ABA (Asian cuisine, Fusion cuisine)
- Address: Calle Ojen 6 Urbanizacion El Pilar, 29688, Estepona Spain
Mini India Diana (Indian, Asian cuisine)
- Address: Cntra, n-340 km 168 Centro Commercial Diana Bloque 2, Local 6, 29688, Estepona Spain
Jaipur Purple (Indian, Asian cuisine)
- Address: Centro Comercial Saladillo L 3-1 y 4-1, Bel Air, 29680, Estepona Spain
Estepona: real estate
Purchasing of real estate in blooming Estepona or the «town of flowers» has many advantages. Regarding to the web-site idealista.com, housing prices are the following:
- 2.345 €/m2 – price per m2 in Estepona in April 2021
The most expensive districts of Estepona are Punta Plata (3.475 €/m2) and Seghers (2.956 €/m2). The most budget friendly areas are Playa Bahía Dorada (2.082 €/m2) and Estepona Pueblo (2.162 €/m2). The most affordable housing are placed in the areas of Selwo (2.316 €/m2) and Benamara-Atalaya (2.472 €/m2).
One-bedroom apartment/flat or studio
- Estepona Pueblo: from 45.100 € / 54 m² / without lift / swimming pool / green areas
- Selwo: from 50.000 € / 40 m² / without lift / swimming pool / green areas
- Punta Plata: from 149.000 € / 80 m² / outdoor communal swimming pools / paddle tennis court
- Estepona Pueblo: from 69.690 € / 76 m² / mezzanine exterior / with lift
- Benamara-Atalaya: from 99.999 € / 72 m² / ground floor exterior / without lift / garage
- Punta Plata: from 162.300 € / 103 m² / storage room / swimming pool / solarium
- Estepona Pueblo: from 69.690 € / 76 m² / floor 2 / without lift
- Selwo: from 96.000 € / 83 m² / floor 3 exterior / with lift / swimming pool
- Punta Plata: from 220.000 € / 87 m² / swimming pool / green areas / parking lot included
- Estepona Pueblo: from 78.000 € / 90 m² / 2 bed. / terrace
- Selwo: from 159.000 € / 66 m² / 2 bed. / terrace / land plot of 360 m²
- Punta Plata: from 249.000 € / 109 m² / 2 bed. / swimming pool / terrace / balcony / garden
- Estepona Pueblo: from 160.000 € / 120 m² / 4 bed. / terrace / land plot of 88 m²
- Selwo: from 192.150 € / 94 m² / 2 bed. / terrace / swimming pool / land plot of 300 m²
- Punta Plata: from 280.000 € / 140 m² / 2 bed. / swimming pool / terrace / balcony / garden / parking lot included
So, what does your dream home in Estepona look like?