Valencia always stands out among the best cities of Spain: it is a beautiful Mediterranean metropolis, rich in history and with a unique charm. But if the city itself is interesting, first of all, from a tourist point of view, the municipalities of Valencia are popular among those looking for a place to reside permanently. We will inform you in this article about the best municipalities of Valencia in order to live and buy a home, according to your personal preferences.
Firstly, let’s answer the next question. Why do many people want to live in the municipalities of Valencia? It is due to the following reasons:
- Affordable housing prices.
- Location close to Valencia city and the Mediterranean coast.
- Good transport connections with Valencia city: metro, buses, highways.
- There are prestigious private educational centres, which are often located on the outskirts of Valencia city.
- Life is quiet and comfortable away from the bustle of the metropolis.
Let’s start discovering in alphabetical order the municipalities of Valencia.
Alboraya (Alboraia in Valencian) − a municipality of Valencia perfect for living
Alboraya is a municipality near northeast of Valencia, just one kilometre away from the city. Its area is relatively small and is inhabited by 24,222 people (according to 2018 data). However, in the last 20 years the number of its inhabitants has increased by almost 6,000 thousand. About half of the population of Alboraya is employed in the service sector, but there are also positions in industry and agriculture. One of the most popular crops here is the chufa, the main component of the famous Horchata of Valencia. There are many bars and horchaterías in the city that offer different varieties of this special drink.
- There are two subway lines. The No. 9 and No. 3, and they take 12 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia (there are metros every 15 minutes).
- Good bus connections to Valencia city.
- Proximity of the sea. The nearest beaches: Patacona beach and Alboraya beach, are only 5 minutes away by car.
- Public, concerted and private schools. For example:
Pre-school and Primary Education State Schools: CEIP Patacona (Avda. Sierra de la Calderona, 1); CEIP Ausias March (C / Pintor Valero, 7); CEIP Cervantes (C / Padre Luis Navarro, 5).
Private State-funded Pre-schools, Primary and Secondary Education: Parroquial D. José Lluch (Avda. Divino Maestro, 15); C.C. Sta. María Marianistas (C / Maestro Serrano, 2)
- It has all the necessary infrastructure (medical centres, schools, cafes and restaurants, beaches, sports centres, etc.).
- The housing price is high in this area: according to December 2019 data from the Idealista website, the average price of homes in Alboraya was € 2159 / m2. The most expensive area is La Patacona, located near the Patacona beach (€ 3100 / m2), where there are mainly new buildings and villas. The most economical area for buying homes is Alboraya Centro, with an average price of € 1511 / m2. In this area all services are within walking distance, however, the beach and the metro stop are far away.
Read our article about the Patacona area, Alboraya, here.
One of the best municipalities in Valencia – Bétera
Bétera is another large municipality, which has an area of 75.7 km2. It is located 15 km away from Valencia. The number of inhabitants of Bétera is 23 647 (2018). This is a quiet area, with mainly low-rise buildings, cosy and narrow streets and an excellent infrastructure.
- Good transport connections to Valencia: the metro yellow line number 1.
- Well-kept green area: the luxurious courses of the Escorpion Golf Club and the magnificent Sierra Calderona Natural Park.
- The prestigious private bilingual school Mas Camarena – It is in the ranking of the best Spanish educational institutions, according to the website El Mundo. Many families move to Bétera with the hope of providing their children with a high-quality European education, and thus guaranteeing them a prosperous life.
- High property prices in the best area of Bétera, Torre en Conill-Cumbres de San Antonio, where in the immediate vicinity there is a golf course with a lake, private schools and nursery schools. The average price of housing here is € 1674 / m2, which is similar to the housing prices of Valencia city.
Municipalities of Valencia with affordable housing – Burjassot
Burjasot (Burjassot in Valencian): it is the closest municipality to the north of Valencia. It is located 2.5 km from the city, and it has good transport connections by metro, bus and car. The area of Burjassot is only 3.4 km2, however, the population is 37,584 (data from 2018), which is enough for a town of this size. Burjassot is a fairly quiet and rustic place where you can buy low-cost housing in order to live or as an investment.
- There is a metro. The number 1 line. There are metros every 35 minutes.
- Distance to the centre of Valencia – 15 minutes by metro.
- Bus service.
- There are state, private and state-funded schools.
State schools: CEIP Fernando de los Ríos, CEIP Miguel Bordonau, CEIP Villar Palasí, CEIP Virgen de los Desamparados and CEIP San Juan de Ribera.
State-funded Schools: San Miguel Arcángel, La Fontaine, La Natividad y el Patronato Juan XXIII.
Secondary schools: IES Vicent Andrés Estellés, IES Federica Montseny and IES Comarcal.
Vocational Training Centre: Campus Aula.
It has a well-developed urban infrastructure.
- Relatively low housing prices: € 1047 / m2 on average (according to data from the Idealista website of December 2019). In addition, there is a wide range of second-hand homes.
- Proximity to the Parque Científico.
- High population density.
- Little green areas; Many grey concrete structures and buildings.
- Far from the sea.
- Only one metro line; There are metros to Valencia every 35 minutes (less frequently on weekends).
A quiet municipality of Valencia with cheap housing − Villanueva de Castellón
Villanueva de Castellón is a small town on the outskirts of Valencia, located 13 km away from the city. It has an area of 20.3 km2 and its population, according to the 2018 census, is 7095 inhabitants. You will find a calm and peaceful pace of life here.
- There is a metro line. The No. 1 yellow line.
- Economic housing prices. On average € 600 / m2 (according to data from the Idealista web portal of December 2019).
- Too long metro journey to Valencia.
- It is not easy for young and active people to find work and entertainment here.
The green municipality of Valencia – Godella
Godella is a very green town located in the north of Valencia, 5 km from the city centre. The area of the city is 8.3 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 13 058 (2018). It is the most suitable municipality for families with children and for those who want to live far from the big and noisy cities.
- There is a metro line. The number 1 metro line. The metro runs every 35 minutes and it takes 18 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- There are bus services.
- There are state, semi-private and private schools. For example, CEIP CERVANTES (state school); CEIP EL BARRANQUET (state school); EPA CENTRO PÚBLICO DE EDUCACIÓN DE PERSONAS ADULTAS DE Godella (State school); CENTRO EDUCATIVO GENÇANA (Private – semi-private school); Los OLIVOS (Private school); and others.
- There are supermarkets, pharmacies, medical centres, sports centres.
- Proximity of the prestigious Cambridge House Community College (multilingual).
- It is a green and quiet area with pleasant neighbours.
- Proximity of The University of Valencia Science Park.
- There is only one metro line. The metro runs every 35 minutes (less frequently on weekends).
- Far from the sea (12-15 km approximately).
- The housing average price per square meter is quite high compared to that of Valencia city (€ 1471 / m2). In addition, in the most expensive area of the municipality, Campolivar area, where there are private schools, villas with private pools and houses with large gardens, the price is even higher (€ 1626 / m2 on average).
The prosperous neighbourhood of Valencia that has a large supply of villas − La Cañada
La Cañada is a neighbourhood in the municipality of Paterna, just 10 km away from Valencia. It has an area of 19.3 km2 and a population of 1214 (2018 census). It is mainly composed of a residential area of large country houses and green areas. Despite its small population, it has everything necessary for daily life: not only shops and cafes, but also private schools and medical centres.
- There is a metro station in order to go to Valencia.
- Wide range of beautiful duplexes and villas with gardens and swimming pools.
- A prosperous area with respectable neighbours.
- The British College La Cañada (private school) – a prestigious educational centre of excellent reputation.
- High prices of goods and services.
- The high prices of housing and land.
The ideal municipality of Valencia for new-build properties investment − Canet de Berenguer
Canet de Berenguer is a municipality quite far from Valencia city, in particular it is located at a distance of about 30 km. The area of this district is 3.8 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 6575 people (2018 census). The municipality is actively growing, as well as its population.
- There is a large supply of modern new-build apartments for all tastes.
- The proximity of the sea; the beautiful views from the tourist apartments; it is suitable for investment.
- Far from Valencia.
- High price of housing, € 1608 / m2 on average (according to data from the Idealista website of December 2019).
A municipality of Valencia with prestigious schools − La Eliana
La Eliana is a prestigious municipality on the outskirts of Valencia, located 15 km along the CV-35 road. The area of this municipality is 8.8 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 18 050 (2018 census). There are many types of houses of different price categories. In addition, land for construction is sold here. This area is ideal for families with children, as it has reputed private schools.
- Beautiful and quiet residential area; there are apartment buildings; There is a wide range of homes.
- Affordable housing prices: from € 137,000 for a two-bedroom detached house with swimming pool (data from the Idealista website of December 2019)
- The private schools Helios La Eliana and Iale, prestigious educational centres, are included in the ranking of the best schools on the El Mundo website.
- Far from Valencia city.
- The area is not very suitable for investment, rather to reside permanently with the whole family.
Municipality of Valencia with affordable and wide-ranging housing – Liria
Liria is a municipality in the northwest of Valencia, located at a distance of about 25 km from Valencia city. The town has a well-developed infrastructure and has a population of 22 972 inhabitants (2018 census). There are areas with multi-storey buildings, as well as single-family houses with plots.
- It has all the necessary infrastructure: shops, schools, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, the Manises Golf Club, the San Vicente Natural Park, etc.
- Affordable and wide-ranging housing. Average price € 850 – € 1002 / m2, according to data from the Idealista website of December 2019.
- There is a metro line. The pink line No. 2.
- There are many cultural attractions: the archaeological museum, the San Miguel de Liria monastery, the Moorish baths of the 12th century.
- Municipality far to Valencia city.
- Although there are good areas, others on the contrary are disadvantaged areas.
Municipality of Valencia in order to live with the whole family – Meliana
Meliana is a small municipality of Valencia, located at about 7 kilometres from Valencia city. The area of this town is 4.7 km2 and its number of inhabitants − 10 662 people (2018 census). This is a quiet and cosy town, where, however, there is all the necessary urban infrastructure.
- Suitable for family life; Good infrastructure (schools, pharmacies, shops, coffee shops, etc.).
- Well developed means of transport: metro, buses, highways.
- There are state, private and semi-private schools. Like, for example: CEIP MEDITERRANI (State school), IES LA GARRIGOSA (State school), CEIP EL CRIST (State school), SAGRADO CORAZÓN (Private – Semi-private), MAIN KINDERGARTEN nursery school (Private – Semi-private), KODALY DE MELIANA music school (Private), XIQUETS nursery school (Private).
- Dense traffic on the road. Despite the short distance from Valencia city, the total travel time may be 20-30 minutes.
- It is difficult for young and active people to find work and entertainment here.
Mislata: The closest municipality to Valencia
Mislata is the closest municipality to the northwest area of Valencia. In fact, its urban centre is linked to that of Valencia. It has a population of 43 278 people (2018 census).
- It is located very close to Valencia.
- There are several metro lines. Lines No. 3, No. 5 and No. 9. In addition, the metro runs every 7 minutes and it takes only 5 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- Bus connections with Valencia.
- Proximity of the Valencia Bioparc: a unique place where wild animals live in an environment very similar to their natural habitat. There is an artificial jungle area, ponds and excellent viewpoints for its visitors.
- Urban services at the same level as those in Valencia.
- Proximity of the Turia natural park, located in the old riverbed of the river of the same name. It is a great place to spend a family weekend or to practice outdoor sports.
- Housing prices are lower than in Valencia, on average € 1226 / m2.
- There is a wide range of schools, both state and semi-private: CEIP El Cid, CEIP Amadeo Tortajada; CEIP Ausiàs March; CEIP Gregorio Mayans; CEIP Jaume I; CEIP l’Almassil; CEIP Maestro Serrano; CEIP Santa Cruz; Colegio Sagrado Corazón; IES La Morería; IES Molí
- It has its own council.
A quiet municipality of Valencia – Moncada
Moncada is a far municipality located in the north of Valencia, at a distance of more than 10 km from Valencia. It has an area of 15.6 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 21 802 (2018 census). This municipality has a well-developed infrastructure. Besides, there are several schools, even universities. Furthermore, there is a prestigious area with luxury villas.
- There is metro service. Line number 1 (one line). The subway runs every 35 minutes and it takes 20 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- There is bus service.
- There are universities and schools, both state, private and semi-private. For example: CEO Colegio San Pablo, Cambridge House Community College, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera – Campus Moncada, etc.
- It has supermarkets, pharmacies, medical centres, sports centres, etc.
- It is a quiet area with a good atmosphere.
- The price of housing in the new part of Moncada is quite high for a municipality.
- It is far from the sea. About 15-17 km.
- It is quite far from Valencia. About 12-15 minutes by car.
The municipality of Valencia with a nice infrastructure – Paterna
Paterna is a municipality in the northwest of Valencia, at a close distance from this city (about 4 km). It has an area of 44 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 69 156 (2018 census).
- There is a metro line, the line number 2 (one line); the metro runs every 35 minutes; It takes about 12 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- Bus service.
- Proximity of the Parc Científic scientific park of the University of Valencia, more information about it in www.pcuv.es.
- There are several schools, both state, private and semi-private. For example: Escuela de Educación Infantil EL MOLÍ (State); Nursery school MUNICIPAL FUENTE DEL JARRO (State); CEIP JAIME I EL CONQUISTADOR (State); Escuela Infrail Educ TECNOLÓGICO (Private – Semi-private); School EL ARMELAR (Private – Semi-private); the prestigious school COMPLEJO PREUNIVERSITARIO MAS CAMARENA (Private); School LYCÉE FRANÇAIS DE VALENCE (Private).
- The new and modern Zona Valterna neighbourhood, with gated communities with swimming pools and private schools.
- It has supermarkets, pharmacies, medical centres, sports centres, etc.
- High housing prices. On average € 1342 / m2, according to December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
- Far from the sea.
The quiet municipalities of Valencia ideal for family life − Picanya and Paiporta
Picanya and Paiporta are two western municipalities of Valencia. Picanya has an area of 7.1 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 11 409. Paiporta, respectively, has an area of 3.9 km2 and is inhabited by 25 309 people.
- There are three metro lines: No. 1, No. 2 and No. 7; The metro runs every 7 minutes and it takes about 10 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- There is a bus service.
- It has states, private and semi-private schools.
For example, below, you may see some of the schools in Picanya: CEIP AUSIÀS MARCH (State); CEIP BALADRE (State); IES ENRIC VALUE (State); ESCOLA GAVINA School (Private – Semi-private); JOSÉ MARÍA ROIG Music School (Private).
In Paiporta: CEIP LLUÍS VIVES (State); CEIP JAUME I (State); IES LA SÈNIA (State); LA INMACULADA School (Private – Semi-private); BANDA PRIMITIVA Music School (Private); etc.
- There are supermarkets, pharmacies, medical centres, sports centres, etc.
- Quiet lifestyle; Many families with children live here.
- Relatively affordable housing: on average € 1206 / m2 in Picanya and € 1247 / m2 in Paiporta – December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
Excellent municipality of Valencia in order to live with the whole family – Picassent
Picassent is an ideal place for family life. It is located just four kilometres from Valencia. It has an area of 85.8 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 20 709. It is a beautiful and green municipality, with a well-developed infrastructure; Ideal for family life.
- There is a metro service. The line number 1; The metro runs every 35 minutes.
- There is a bus service to Valencia.
- Housing is cheaper than in neighbouring municipalities. On average € 919 / m2, according to December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
- Availability of schools, both state and Semi-private. As, for example: CEIP MARE DE DÉU DE VALLIVANA (State); CEIP SANT IGNASI DE LOIOLA (State), CEIP PRÍNCIPE DE ESPAÑA (State); LES CAROLINES School (Private – Semi-private); Ausiàs March International School (Private – Semi-private).
- There are many playgrounds.
- It is a very green area.
- Availability of the Ampa high school IES L’OM de Picassent, located at Avd. Norte, 2, Picassent, 46220.
- It has a large municipal sports complex with swimming pool, football pitch and tennis courts.
- 90% of the population are Valencians.
- Convenient means of transport.
- The famous private school Ausias March – one of the best in the El Mundo ranking.
- Reasonable housing prices.
- You can reach the beach without having to go through Valencia – 15 minutes by car.
- It is far from Valencia: 28 minutes to the centre by metro and 15 minutes by car.
- There is a scarce bus service: it runs once every hour.
Municipality of Valencia to reside permanently – Puzol
Puzol (Puçol in Valencian) – is a remote municipality in the north of Valencia, located half an hour by car (20 km) from Valencia city. The area of this locality is 18.1 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 19 455 (2018 census). It is a very quiet place and it is suitable for family life.
- It is a quiet and safe area.
- There are many schools: state, private and semi-private. For example: Colegio LUIS VIVES (State); Escuela de Educación Infantil LA MILOTXA (State); CEIP JAUME I (State); Colegio ALFINACH (Private – Semi-private); Colegio VIRGEN DE LA CRUZ (Private – Semi-private); Colegio HISPANO-NORTEAMERICANO (Private); the renowned CAXTON COLLEGE School (Private), which is among the best Spanish educational centres according to El Mundo newspaper.
- It is somewhat far from Valencia.
- Real estate prices are quite high, an average of € 1277 / m2 (according to data from the Idealista website of December 2019).
The green municipality of Valencia ideal for family living – Rocafort
Rocafort is a very green and quite small municipality located in the north of Valencia. The area of this town is 2.3 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 7160 (2018). This area is ideal for family life.
- It is mainly composed of private villas.
- It is a very green area.
- There is a short distance to: supermarkets, pharmacies, a medical centre, and sports fields.
- It has bus service.
- Friendly neighbours.
- Low population density.
- Proximity of the prestigious Cambridge House Community College (Carrer Profesorado Español 1, Rocafort, 46111). This is one of the best schools of Spain, according to El Mundo. There are other state and private schools: MUNICIPAL Nursery school (State), CEIP SAN SEBASTIÁN (State), ALEVÍN Nursery school (Private – Semi-private), ROCAFORT MUSICAL music school (Private).
- There is only one subway line, which runs every 35 minutes (less frequently on weekends).
- Expensive real estate: on average € 1,630 / m2, according to December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
- Far from the sea. Approximately 12-15 km.
Municipality of Valencia with country houses − San Antonio de Benagéber
San Antonio de Benagéber is a small municipality located 12 km from Valencia. It has an area of 8.7 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 8846. It is an area with well-maintained country houses, villas and gardens.
- An area with large luxury houses, beautiful gardens, swimming pools and lots of vegetation.
- Friendly neighbours.
- There is no subway, there are only buses.
- The high housing prices for an area of this type – € 1276 / m2 on average.
The large city of Valencia, Torrente
Torrente is a large city located in the west of Valencia. It has an area of 69.3 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 81,245 (2018 census). Torrente is a cosy and green city with a wide real estate range: here there are both cheap apartments and luxury villas. Property prices greatly vary depending on the area.
- A large and self-sufficient city, which has all the local services.
- Subway lines No. 1, No. 2 and No. 7 (yellow, pink, orange). The subway runs every 7 minutes and it takes 15 minutes to reach the centre of Valencia.
- Bus service.
- There are state, private and semi-private schools. For example: CEIP MIGUEL HERNÁNDEZ (State); CEIP EL MOLÍ (State); CEIP FEDERICO MAICAS (State); CEIP SANTO TOMÁS DE AQUINO (Private – Semi-private); LA PURÍSIMA School (Private); UNIO MUSICAL TORRENT Music School (Private); and others.
- It has all the local services.
- Availability of the Catholic University of Torrent.
- Great sport centres.
- Main street with many shops.
- There is a prestigious area with luxury villas.
- There are a couple of neighbourhoods in which mainly gypsies live.
Municipality of Valencia with beautiful views – Gilet
Gilet is a picturesque and quiet municipality located 30 km from Valencia. Here you can find beautiful gardens and stunning views of the mountains and the sea. The area of this municipality is 11.3 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 3,276 (2018 census).
- Quiet and safe area, suitable for living with children.
- Beautiful views of the sea and the mountains; healing weather.
- Wide range of homes: both apartments and houses.
- Economic properties: € 949 / m2 on average, according to the December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
- Far from Valencia (30-40 minutes by car).
- Relatively far from the beach (10-20 minutes by car).
Picturesque municipality of Valencia with an excellent infrastructure − El Puig
El Puig is a municipality of Valencia located in a large and mountainous green area, just 15 km north of Valencia. It has an area of 26.8 km2 and a population of 8566 inhabitants (2018 census). This area has an optimal infrastructure, as well as attractions and renowned schools. It can be divided into three zones: the first, is the town of the same name located on a small hill, whose main attraction is the thirteenth century old Monastery of Santa Maria. The building is Gothic and has elements of the Renaissance in its architecture. The church is still active, weddings, baptisms, and other celebrations are still celebrated. The second area is the beach line, 4 km long; and the third is the industrial estate area.
- Quiet area, cosy and with abundant nature.
- There is a cosy beach: El Puig.
- Convenient transport connections: highways, the V-21 (Valencia – Barcelona) and the A-7 (Valencia); the local train RENFE C-6 (Valencia – Castellón de la Plana), as well as the bus, which runs every hour to Valencia from the beach of El Puig.
- Availability of tourist attractions: the medieval monastery of Santa María; the ruins of the tower-fortress located on the top of the hill; the Printing and Graphic Art Museum
- There are schools: state, private and semi-private. For example: CEIP PARE JOFRÉ (State); CEIP GUILLEM D’ENTENÇA (State); IES INSTITUTO DE EDUCACIÓN SECUNDARIA (State); SANTA MARÍA DEL PUIG School (Private – Semi-private); LOS CHOPOS Nursery School (Private – Semi-private); ESCUELA INTERNACIONAL DE MÚSICA REIAL MONESTIR Music School (Private); etc.
- A wide range of homes of all types, for an average price of € 1135 / m2, according to the December 2019 data from the Idealista website.
- There is no subway and it takes 20-30 min to reach Valencia by car.
- It may be difficult to find work and entertainment for young people.
Coastal urban centre of Valencia economic to live and invest − Puerto de Sagunto
Puerto de Sagunto is a coastal urban area located about 25 km in the north of Valencia. It has an area of 3.69 km2 and its number of inhabitants is 45 891. This urban area has many diverse zones, both good and bad. However, in general, it is an economical and attractive urban area in order to live and buy homes. For example, here you can buy apartments located five minutes from the beach, for a much lower price than in Valencia.
- Wide supply of affordable homes, for an average price of € 1008 / m2. You can buy an apartment from € 24,000; a villa from € 39,900; and a single-family house from € 80,000 (according to December 2019 data from the Idealista website).
- It is an area suitable for buying tourist apartments because of the many advantages it offers: proximity to the sea; high demand among foreigners and Spaniards; Great quality-price ratio.
- Picturesque nature; port; water sports; The old tower: there are many things to do and see.
- There are certain areas where mainly gypsies live.
- During the summer season, beach areas may be too loud and crowded.
- There are no schools within walking distance, all of them are in Sagunto, where you can find many private, semi-private and state schools.
In this article we have told you all about the housing purchase and investment, in the municipalities and urban areas of Valencia. Each of them has its own advantages and may be of interest to any buyer of real estate. If you would like more information on any of these municipalities or urban areas, contact our specialists. They will select the best and most suitable option for you. You can find all our supply of properties in Valencia, in our catalogue.
Read our articles about Valencia:
- The most important tourist attractions in Valencia;
- Bad areas of Valencia: the worst neighbourhoods to live in Valencia;
- Valencia Areas: Guide to Valencia Districts and Neighbourhoods.